Meet the Family!
We have so many things to be thankful for as we look over the events of this past month (and a half! Sorry for the delay in the newsletter). But what tops them all is being reunited with our adopted Papua New Guinea family after 15 years.
A little over a week ago, we flew to Hoskins, West New Britain Province, which is where we lived 15 years ago. We sadly learned that the couple who adopted Jen had passed away several years ago, but some of Jen’s brothers and sisters are still living there with families of their own now. We hosted them for a big family dinner and spent lots of time walking back and forth to each other’s homes in order to spend as much time together as possible. The story and all the details would make this newsletter too long, but check Jen’s blog out (http://www.beautygrows.blogspot.com) as she will be posting more stories and details there.
Below left is Alex (Jen’s brother), Jen, and Esther (Jen’s sister) holding her new daughter, Sharon.
On the right is Tom with Esther’s husband, John.
One huge answer to prayer is that we were able to find a used 4WD SUV! It does need some work and 4 new tires–the tires are completely bald and will need replaced before rainy season comes and the roads become more treacherous. Pray for God’s provision for that. Four new tires will cost about $500 USD.If you feel led to give towards the tires and other needed maintenance (it leaks oil, and needs a new fan belt), it will be a huge blessing, not only to us, but to our friends and the community.
This vehicle is not just a family vehicle, but it transports us to the facility we are helping to build for women with HIV, it takes community youth (and our own teens) to youth fellowship, it takes Jen and neighborhood women to women’s fellowship, and it is available to transport those who are sick or would have medical emergencies to the hospital. It will be used to deliver food and emergency supplies to settlements of orphans, and the list goes on! It is God’s vehicle to be used for His work.
Our twice-weekly classes and tutoring are in full swing now. We are not only investing in our community, but we are working to prevent children and young women from being targeted for human trafficking. Two of the many factors that put people at risk are a lack of education & job skills and being illiterate in English. In order to be able to go to school, children must know English. Teens and adults cannot get a job if they do not know English, are illiterate (How do you fill out a job application if you cannot read or write?), and lack basic job skills.
Many women and children are forced into trafficking against their will, but some feel there is no other option to earn money other than to go into prostitution. Our classes will empower at-risk women and children in our community to go into the education system and working world equipped to succeed! We teach English literacy, Health & Wellness, and Bible to the younger children in our classes. Our tutoring sessions are tailored to what areas the students and adults need the most help in. So far, we are tutoring in English, Math, Computer Literacy, Baking, and Accounting; we have some interest in Tom teaching carpentry as well. We are committed to seeing people rise above poverty and desperation and to go forward with HOPE that they can build a better future for themselves and their children.
Visit our FaceBook page for weekly pictures and updates on our classes and tutoring (http://www.facebook.com/restoringunity). We are currently accepting donations for our health and wellness class: we are in need of plastics (band-aids) and antibiotic ointment for sores, toothbrushes, and toothpaste. We would also like some plastic dental teeth to better teach about good dental hygeine…so ask your dentist to consider donating to Restoration…it’s tax-deductible! Here is the link with the info about our school needs: https://www.facebook.com/restoringunity/posts/775149695992162
Please join us in prayer and thanksgiving:
* We are so thankful for the opportunity to travel to Hoskins after being away for 15 years. The reunions are a sweet taste of what heaven will be like!
* Alex and his wife Grace are the only believers in our PNG family. Pray for Esther, John, and family; Steven, Patricia, and a cousin Alex, as well as the many other aunts, uncles, and cousins who do not know the Way, the Truth, and the Life.
* We are very thankful for our car! Pray for our current need for tires and repairs.
* Pray for healing for Tom, who is currently recovering from a very bad bout of malaria. Pray for good health and protection for the rest of us.
* We are so thankful for each student and young adult who comes each week to our school! Pray for them and pray for provision for our school needs. This is a ministry that is free to our community. We have financial needs for our school, as well as tangible needs. Just send us a message if you are interested in learning more about how you can help!
* Pray for safety for Tom as he spends every available day at iCare4U (https://www.facebook.com/ICARE4UPNGAUS/). Please visit their page to learn more about the facility being built and their vision to help women and children affected by HIV. We are honored to be laboring with them! We look forward to the day that the building is completed and we can begin ministering to women and children there.
As always, thank you for partnering with us. We cannot do what we do without each one of you behind us!
Tom, Jen, Lexie, Michael, Daniel, and Joy!
Here are the following ways you can give to our ministry (all donations are tax-deductible):
Mail: Restoration International
P.O. Box 73, Bainbridge, PA 17502
Or set up automatic bill pay/ bank transfer.
Send us a message for the bank info! Thanks!
| Copyright © 2018 Restoration International, All rights reserved.|